German lessons in India are first published in Pune and this story (The beginning and development of German teaching in Pune) is related to the history of the University of Bombay because all colleges in Pune are affiliated to the University of Bombay until 1949.
When in 1908 the presidency of the University of Bombay proposed to modernize the university courses, the Senate Committee was founded. Sir Raghunath Paranjpe, a member of this committee, proposed graduating in diplomacy (B.A.) on April 21, 1911, and the committee has included Deutsch as one of the minor subjects. The Senate agreed that German was a secondary subject for all university examinations, e.g. from matriculation to Bachelor of Arts.
After completing his PhD in Sanskrit and Comparative Linguistics, at the University of Leipzig, Professor Pandurang D. Gune returned in 1913, and in 1914, in addition to his responsibility for Sanskrit, began teaching German for an 8th Grade class at the Deccan Education Society’s New English School.
When Professor Krishnaji Keshav Joshi returned from Germany in January 1915, he took over the teaching of German from Prof. Gune at the New English School and started the regular B.A. Course at Fergusson College. The first B.A. Exam for German at the University of Bombay was held in 1918, the Mr. DattatreyaBapuraoDavalbhakta was firstPunsian candidate with good success. German lessons at colleges in Bombay did not take place regularly and, after some years, were completely canceled. We are very grateful to Sir Raghunath Paranjape for supporting German lessons in Pune. In 1924, Fergusson College began a magister course in German, and by the end of World War II, Fergusson College in Pune was the only center for continuing studies in India within India. Mr. GansehRahunathKokil was the ertseMagisterabsolventmit Deutsch.
It is Prof. Dr. med. D. D. Karvezu owe that the German courses were introduced to science students of the University of Bombay. The course was so good that 75% of the Faculty of Natural Sciences graduate for German as a minor subject. This course supplier until 1947.
(After that, German classes were abolished at some colleges, but at SP College, the German lessons originally started in the science class were transferred to the Arts section. Professor RN Chapekbeared on the German section of SP College gradually and carefully.The German Unterrichtfing 1939. From 1943 Mr. Chapekar was the head of the German department until 1973. Since 1954, he has also been teaching secondary English in the BA class German.) The instruction in German was awarded at Fergusson College.
But gradually the students’ preference for the science faculty and the faculty of arts and humanities began to clash with uninterested and less motivated students. So the German department of colleges gradually became impoverished. The situation in the schools also got worse. Since 1947 there is the Deutschbuch Bisherigen rank of the “second language” to those of the Drittbzw. the fourth language has descended. There was also a shortage of good German operators. Even New Englich School, the only school in India that taught German from the beginning, has finally been awarded the Deutsch Fach aus die Stundenplanstreichen.
At Fergusson College, for example. Seminars of guest lecturers, film club, competitions, etc. organized. Recently, Dr. Manfred Stassen, Br. Ulrike Schatz, Fr. AgnesZinöker überverschiedeThemen Vorträgegehalten. The Chat Club offers students from Fergusson College and SP College a chance to come together and learn about different topics in German.
In the festival “Auf Deutsch bitte” various competitions are organized. For example: presentation about cities in Germany, vocabulary quiz, essay competition, running dictation etc.
Since 1997, student exchanges have taken place between Fergusson College and the Albert Einstein Gymnasium. Fergusson College also organized the exchange program for parents.